Tuesday 16 August 2016

Discontinuities

For this exercise we are asked to select five images from our personal collection, that could not belong to someone else. We are then to ask other students to write a short explanation or caption for each image; the idea being that they are viewing the images in isolation, with no supporting context or information.

My five selected images are as follows:






With no supporting information, the viewer of the images has to use any visual clues they have in the image in combination with their imagination to provide a narrative and context for the image. Firstly, here are the responses from my fellow students:

Jane494769

1) Nothing beats a warm summer's evening for a spot of camping
2) A Bambi-rometer
3) I'm still smiling.. just. Hurry up its moving and about to run up my sleeve!!
4) I want to play too!  If I just roll around here a bit and wag my tail it should really liven things up a  bit
5) On the road - alone again

Maurice512591

1. Camping holiday in France. This was our spot.
2. Barometer says this has to change. Wash up and clean!
3. Testing her fear of spiders in a zoo. Look: she is not afraid.
4. The cat disturbs a game. And is forgiven.
5. The end of a holiday - alone

Miriam506964

1. A great campsite, with lots of space and shade.
2. Abandoned in the shed, a barometer decorated with a deer head.
3.  She looks so calm!
4. A cat insists on being the centre of attention
5.  the morning after a lonely night away from home.

Anne507559


1. A perfect spot for camping
2. Time I was clearing out the shed
3. I am NOT afraid of spiders
4. If you think your going to have a game without me you have another think coming
5. Back on the road after your holiday

Judith Bach

1. Camping holiday / road trip
2. An abandoned shed on your travels full of rather interesting objects.
3. A brave lady ! She seems quite composed but perhaps is less keen on the (huge) spider than the photo suggests .
4. Cat interupts game , making sure he/she is not ignored .
5. End of road trip


Now, I will give the actual circumstances for each photograph:

1) This was indeed a camping holiday, for me and my then girlfriend (now wife). It was taken on a camping and caravan site on North Hill in Somerset.

2) Lots of people thought this was taken in a shed; in fact it was taken during a spell of 'urban exploring' of an abandoned farmhouse. The image taken was just above the kitchen sink, and that is the kitchen window. I found the barometer with a deer's head to be quite a novelty!

3) Again in Somerset, at a place called Tropiquaria, where you can handle a tarantula. This was my then girlfriend (now wife). She's very scared of spiders, so was being particularly brave here!

4) About 10 years ago, we were playing a card game on the floor at my parents house, when the cat decided he wanted some attention, so spread himself all over our meticulously organised cards!

5) A family holiday in Cyprus. My and my girlfriend (again, now wife!) were probably sharing the single bed, leaving the other untouched. I quite like the open narrative to this image, it asks more questions than it answers in terms of the one bed made, and the other unmade, who the suitcase belongs to etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment